San Antonio Writers Guild
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Writing Contest Requirements
Please review carefully. We regret that noncomplying entries will have to be disqualified.
· Entries, characters and worlds must be original to the writer unless characters are real people. Fan fiction is not allowed.
· Winning entries from previous contests may not be submitted.
· Entries may not be previously published in any medium except for brief samples on authors' social media or web sites.
· An entry may be submitted elsewhere for publication before or while entered, but if it is published before the contest closes it must be withdrawn from competition.
· Specified maximum lengths are mandatory, as are format requirements. Longer or incorrect entries will be disqualified.
· Entry fees are not refundable.
· Unlike many other contests, SAWG retains no rights to contest entries. SAWG will publish no part of an entry except author's name and title. A piece that enters or even wins does not count as being published.
Book-length: 500-word synopsis plus first 5,000 words
Short story: maximum 10,000 words
· General Fiction
· Poetry, any length or form
· File type must be .doc, .docx or .pdf
· Font must be Times New Roman 12-point or Courier 12-point.
· Author’s name or identifying information must not appear anywhere in the document.
· Paragraphs must be double-spaced.
· Pages must have one-inch margins.
· Pages must be numbered in the footer section of the page.
· Entry category and title must appear in the header of each page, including the first page.
Deadlines & Entry Fees
Early bird: 8/1/18 – 9/30 $20 per entry
Regular: 10/1 – 10/31 $25 per entry
Last-minute: 11/1 – 11/30 $30 per entry
Student, military or Guild member discount $5 per entry with current ID.
The contest will close at midnight Central (US) time on Friday 30 November 2018.
All entries and fee payments must be made digitally through Submittable.
In each category:
· First place $100
· Second place $50
· Third place $25
· Honorable mention
Every prize includes one year’s SAWG membership and a link to the writer’s personal web site on SAWG’s web page.
A writer may receive only one award per category.
Number of Entries
A writer may submit only two entries per category, six total entries per person.
There are two rounds of blind judging. The first is performed by member volunteers, screened and selected by contest managers. Each entry will be evaluated by at least three of these preliminary judges who are familiar with that genre.
The final judges are professional writers who specialize in the entries’ genres.
· No member may judge a category he or she has entered.
· The five entries with the highest preliminary scores will progress to the final round.
· Winners will be contacted by email, announced at the monthly meeting following the final judging, and posted on the SAWG website.
· All writers will receive score sheets for their work via email after the winners are announced.
The Guild will retain one copy of each of the winning entries. These archived copies will be available in case a claim of plagiarism is levied at a later date.